Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I'm not ashamed... Should I be?

Romans 1:16 " For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile."

When I read this verse last night and then again this morning, I couldn't help but ask is this me? Could I place my name in the place of Paul's and boldly profess that I am not ashamed of the Gospel? I'm not sure because truthfully sometimes I find myself cowering in the most intimidating situations and then other times, you can't hush me up! So it was interesting that  just this morning I was sitting outside a little cafĂ© with my computer and notes working on ministry stuff and these lovely older women walk by. They were so tickeled by the great food they had just experienced in the cafe' that they started talking to me about it. I quickly recognized that they were " outsiders" and  not from the South, and after hearing about all the hush puppies they had eaten and how they didn't really care for grits, but actually did some cotton picking, I couldn't help but to think " I wonder if they know Jesus."

Well, the conversation started to die down and the women simply apologized for bothering me while I was working. "What do you do?" She asked. "Oh Gosh" I thought ,and the panic began and my heart started racing and my foot started tapping at a faster pace-This was it! This is that moment where I can cower with embarrassment and shame because it's a little awkward to talk about faith in public  and just give a generic answer ( I'm a mom and oh well just writing etc), or will I own my faith and answer as a women who has been transformed by the gospel...

YES!!!  I'm happy to report I did not cower but spoke from the joy that resides in my heart and professed with confidence that" I am Christian speaker who speaks to encourage others with the Hope that they have through a relationship with Jesus Christ."  Whew I said it- and it felt so good! :) There was a silent awkward pause ( of course!!!) and then one spoke up and said " well, that's good" while the other, I could tell, the wheels got to turnin' (as we say down  here in the south)

15 minutes later I found myself speaking in depth about the difference in being a  "church goer" ( who I use to be...a Christian in motion but no real devotion) and someone who's so in love with Jesus that they own their faith and actually enjoy it! They smiled and thanked me and  we said good bye!
 
I don't know what God will do with the seed that was planted, or if anything about our conversation will take root in their hearts, or if it will be added to their exciting list of things they experienced in Charleston, but I do know for me and for today, and hopefully everyday I will not cower as if I have something to be embarrassed about, but can  say " Sara, is not ashamed of the gospel, Because it is the Power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes." 


I hope you're encouraged to own your faith and live out what should be an outpouring of what is in your heart! Luke 6:45 "for out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.'

Simply Encouraged Ministries
"Making God all you want, Experiencing all you need"

No comments: